Bassoon competition, concert and much, much more
On Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th of May 2017 the FagotNetwerk will organise in co-operation with the Fagot Festival Foundation and the Prins Claus Conservatory Groningen Fagot Centraal in Groningen.
One weekend filled with competitions for amateur bassoonists and professional bassoonists, masterclasses, workshops, concerts, a large fair and above all: lots of bassoon!
Here you will find all the necessary information about this unique event as well as the link to the form for applying to specific or multiple parts of the program. A festival pass, for listeners can be ordered here so you can visit the masterclasses, concerts and competitions, while not being an active participant.
Fagot Centraal in Groningen is:
- A competition for professional bassoonists (first round May 13th, finales May 14th). Click here for all information about the competition for professionals.
- A competition for amateur bassoonists (first round May 13th, finales May 14th). Click here for all information about the competition for amateurs.
- Masterclasses by Sophie Dartigalongue (principal bassoon of the Vienna State Opera Orchestra), Pieter Nuytten (principal bassoon of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra), Simon van Holen (contrabassoon player of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra: masterclasses bassoon and contrabassoon), Wouter Verschuren (bassoonist of the Amsterdam baroque Orchestra: masterclasses baroque bassoon and performing practices of old music).
- A program with workshops on modern playing techniques, bassoon maintenance, reed making, handling stage fright, light music, playing Contraforte and possibilities for ensemble playing.
- Concerts by renowned bassoonists amongst whom the young star bassoonist Sophie Dartigalongue.
- A market with bassoon manufacturers, reed makers, bassoon accessories, sheet music, CD’s and a lot more.
With the form you can apply for one or more of the following program parts:
- participating to the competition for amateurs or the competition for professional bassoonists
- active participation to a masterclass
- participation to the program with workshops
When you you apply to one of these parts, you gain admission as a listener to all masterclasses, competitions and concerts.
Fees for one of these program parts are:
- € 50,- when applying before february 1st 2017 (€ 40,- for members of the FagotNetwerk)
- € 60,- als je je aanmeldt op of na 1 februari 2017 (€ 50,- voor leden van het Fagotnetwerk)
- € 60,- when applying on or after february 1st 2017 (€ 50 for members of the FagotNetwerk)
Note: if you want to apply for one or more program parts, par example for a contest and a masterclass or for two masterclasses, you will pay €40,- extra for each program part.
You can pre-order festival passes (€ 20,-). A festival pass can also be bought at the counter (€25,-)
Festival passes will serve anyone well who does not play bassoon, but intents to be a listener, family members par example. Festival passes can be ordered through the form on top of this page.
Appliances will close on the following dates:
– April 1st 2017 for the competitions for professional and amateur bassoonists
– april 15th 2017 for the masterclasses and workshops
– May 1st 2017 for ordering festival passes in the pre-sale (price pre-sale: € 20,-)
On the actual days festival passes can be bought at the counter (€ 25,-)
For questions about Fagot Centraal in Groningen you can contact us on:
We hope to see you in Groningen!
Contest for professional bassoonists
The competition for professional bassoonists is open to all bassoonists living in the Netherlands or Flanders to whom apply one of the following situations:
– you are 17 years of age or older and attend the preparing class of a conservatory (main study (baroque-)bassoon)
– you are studying for the bachelor diplom at a conservatory (main study (baroque-)bassoon)
– you are studying for the master diplom at a conservatory (main study (baroque-)bassoon)
– you have finished yours studies at a conservatorium (main study (baroque-)bassoon)
You can apply on bassoon, contrabassoon and on baroque bassoon.
The jury members will be:
- Sophie Dartigalongue, principal bassoonist of the Vienna State Opera Orchestra
- Jos Lammerse, principal bassoonist of the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra
- Marije van der Ende, principal bassoonist of the North Netherlands Symphony Orchestra
- Mette Laughs, former principal bassoonist of the Arnhem Philharmonic Orchestra
- Jacob Slagter, former principal French horn player of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
- Thomas Oltheten, baroque bassoonist in the Apollo Ensemble
- Biella Luttmer, redacteur at “De Volkskrant”.
The program of the competition for professional bassoonists consists of a part of your own choice and an obligatory part. The program for the first round will not exceed 15 minutes. The program of the final round will last 20 minutes minimum and not exceed 25 minutes.
The obligatory part will consist of a choice of four pieces from the following compositions:
- van der Aa – Ren de Fagot
- Hamel – Weerlicht
- Jeths – Bassoon Jingle
- Lann – Happy Birthday 234
- Moore – Rose
- Noordegraaf – Red de Fagot
- Tsoupaki – Red de fagot
Click here for all sheet music
In the application form you can indicate which pieces you will play. You must download the sheet music of the pieces you choose yourself from this website.
The part of your own choice of the program may consist of one or more compositions.
When you choose multiple works, these should be written in different periods of style.
NB: as part of your appliance for the contest for professional bassoonists you have to send in an audio- or videorecording. The repertoire for this recording will consist of:
– the first movement of the concerto for bassoon by A. Vivaldi in b flat major (RV 503)
– One off:
- Jeths – Bassoon Jingle → view in the notes above on sheet music
- Moore – Rose → view in the notes above on sheet music
- Noordegraaf – Red de Fagot → view in the notes above on sheet music
Send your recording before March 15th 2017 through a link or WeTransfer to:
Click here for the complete rules for the professional bassoonists competition